Can Mental Health Diversion Be Sought After Sentencing?

No is the answer to the rhetorical question posed in the title of this blog post. Once a person is convicted, even if the conviction in on appeal, a convicted person cannot then seek resentencing under Penal Code § 1001.36, the Fifth Appellate District Court of Appeal recently held in an indecent exposure case following a conviction. The court of appeal decision emphasized that such a program is intended as an early disposition option and not meant to be used as a second alternative if a jury disagrees on the merits of a defense. To read more about the case that led to this ruling, please click on the following link.


ASLA 4 Time Member 2018

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s